Starbuck's FreePlayer a simple and complete audio/video player based on the powerful MPlayer project. FreePlayer is gratis (free of charge) and its code is open-source. Starbuck's FreePlayer runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms:
- play audio and video files (Xvid/DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, MPEG-2, FLV, MP4, WMV, AC-3, AAC, DTS, MP3...),
- play DVD (menu navigation) and Bluray discs, ISOs and folders,
- play files from the network, using the HTTP, FTP, MMS or RTSP/RTP protocol,
- play external subtitle files (supports non-Western fonts),
- browse the internet to play media (Youtube, Dailymotion, Music Addict, CBS News, Fox News, Lego City ...),
- save network medias to local disk.
Advantages over other populars media players
Starbuck's FreePlayer has been created to provide a classical (VLC-like, MPC-like) GUI for MPlayer and MPlayer2 and to be used as player widget for DVDx 4.1 project.
Starbuck's FreePlayer isn't perfect (yet;-) and some issues need fixes.
Exclusive video web browser
Not just a MPlayer GUI, FreePlayer includes a full-featured video web browser and it can save audio and video network streams to your local filesystem. You navigates the video web browser à la Chromium and it detects embedded video or audio streams and load them into the player like any local file. You may want to avoid low Internet connection issues or archive the network media, then Startbuck's FreePlayer rips the network media to your local file system.
The power of MPlayer
Running MPlayer and MPlayer2 as backend, Starbuck's FreePlayer is fast and powerful. Another great feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output drivers (X11, Xv, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, GGI, SDL, VESA). Most of them support software or hardware scaling, so you can enjoy movies in fullscreen.
Starbuck's FreePlayer is based on new-born Starbuck's C++ Library including Console, Media, MediaPlayer, MediaPlayerWidget, MediaWebBrowser, Process and Widget classes. Starbuck's C++ Library project aims at being the framework (based on Digia Qt) for upcoming software products edited by labDV.com team.